Monday, April 20, 2020

Freud on Netflix



This past weekend, I finished watching the series Freud on Netflix, which is a piece of historical fiction taking place in 1886 Austria.

At the beginning it was very interesting, then took turns that I thought were strange and even foolish.  But the performances (and the desire to seeing how the writers were going to wrap up the story) took me to the end.  I am glad I toughed it out.  The Forward provided an interesting review.
https://forward.com/culture/443072/freud-netflix-review-psychoanalysis-magic/  But the review (which is more perceptive than the others I read) is inadequate to the task.

Everything I have read on the internet about Freud so far is, in my view, an underestimation of the series.  At the end (which only makes real sense if you have watched the episodes leading up to it), it is a harrowing meditation on mob psyches, with an unnerving foreshadowing of the insanity that the Germanic world fell into much later in Freud's life. 

Whether it is also is a foreshadowing of current American politics is something I have not yet worked out.

No comments:

Post a Comment