Monday, April 16, 2018

Thank you note to the Montgomery County Board of Education

MoCo BOE Members Michael Durso, Shebra Evans, Jeanette Dixon, Judith Docca,
Patricia O'Neill, Jill Ortman-Fouse, Matthew Post, and Rebecca Smondrowski



Below is the thank you letter sent today to the Montgomery County Board of Education.  It is always useful to let public officials know when they have made good decisions.  

Montgomery County Board of Education
Carver Educational Center
850 Hungerford Drive
Rockville, MD 20850
boe@mcpsmd.org
RE: Naming of Richard Montgomery Cluster Elementary School # 5 after Bayard Rustin
Dear President Durso, Vice President Evans, and Members O'Neill, Docca, Smondrowski, Ortman-Fouse, Dixon, and Post:
I want to thank you not just for the decision to name the new Richard Montgomery Cluster elementary school after Bayard Rustin, but for your thoughtful discussion of the matter. It is heartwarming to know that every member of the Board is so supportive of LGBTQ inclusion and embrace, regardless of their final vote. The choice was not between a good choice and a bad choice, but rather between good choices.
Thank you for making the choice that so many of us in Montgomery County believe will do the most good.
I have written and posted on Facebook what I hope is a comprehensive discussion of the April 12 discussion and vote. http://davidfishback.blogspot.com/…/new-elementary-school-i… This blog post includes the link to the Board's discussion, which I commend to readers. As I write at the beginning of the piece, "I have said this often, and I have a great occasion to say it again: I love my hometown, Montgomery County."
Best wishes,
David S. Fishback, Maryland Advocacy Chair
Metro DC Chapter of PFLAG

No comments:

Post a Comment